|WITH THE OBJECT OF IMPROVING THE CONDITIONS OF LIFE|
|THE MEMORIAL HALL|
|IS GIVEN IN TRUST TO THE INHABITANTS OF PICKERING|
Built as a corn mill c 1867 the building was gifted by the Kitching family, in 1922, as a war memorial hall to be used for the benefit of the people of the urban district. Over the years it has served as a museum, public baths, swimming pool, reading rooms, public library, theatre, British restaurant and council offices and the hub of the community for recreational activities. It houses a mural by Rex Whistler of "the children eating cakes" which was painted by the artist in 1943 at a Christmas Party hosted by the 2nd Battalion of Welsh Guards.
A major refurbishment project part funded by the National Lottery has ensured that the building now complies with all modern day requirements and legislation in order to ensure its ongoing viability.
The Memorial Hall is managed by Trustees on behalf of the people of Pickering
Last Updated: May 1st, 2001